Simpson Wood

01484 534431



ABOUT US  

 

Simpson Wood has a long established history as you can see from the timeline below. The firm is proud of its reputation and how it has continued to evolve into the modern practice which it is today. Our strength has always been the quality and experience of our staff and the importance we place on direct communication with our clients. We have extremely high retention rates of both clients and our team of skilled and experienced staff who care passionately about doing their best for our clients.



1880

Chartered Accountants’ Hall at Moorgate Place

1880


Fred Lockwood founded the firm in the same year that the ICAEW was founded by Royal Charter, originally practising from Moldgreen.

1909

One pound note issued by Huddersfield Bank

1909


Fred Lockwood retired and Henry V Wood became a partner, joined by Ralph Turner and George Lockwood resulting in the firm's name being changed to Lockwood Turner & Wood.

1913

Bank Chambers – the home of Simpson Wood

1913


The firm moved into its current premises at Bank Chambers, Market Street which also became the site of the Huddersfield Stock Exchange, shortly before George Lockwood was called up for military service in 1914.

 

 

 

 

 

Image provided by the Kirklees Image Archive.

1939

Huddersfield Stock Exchange’s Roll of Honour

1939


The Second World War resulted in some staff enlisting, whilst others took on duties at home, including having to remain in Bank Chambers overnight.

1954

Harold Simpson and Raymond Wood

1954


The firm's name changed to Simpson Wood & Co when the two partners of the firm were Harold Simpson and Raymond Wood, and has remained virtually unchanged since then reflecting the history of the two families' involvement in the firm which stretched over 90 years.

1970

Huddersfield’s old Market Hall which closed in 1970

1970


Simpson Wood & Co merged with Wood & Hoyle which brought back John Hoyle and Frank Laycock, who had both previously worked at Simpson Wood, and now returned as partners.

 

 

 

 

 

Image provided by the Kirklees Image Archive.

1980

Entrance to Bank Chambers

1980


The firm celebrated its centenary which coincided with the retirement of Raymond Wood. It also opened an office in Penistone and its name was changed to Simpson Wood.

2003

Neil Duthie

2003


The firm set up Simpson Wood (Financial Services) Limited with Neil Duthie as managing director, to deal with the increasing work in this area in order to expand the services we were able to offer clients.

2011

Academy schools

2011


The partnership continues to expand and improve the services provided to clients, including tax planning, will writing, academy schools, and a relaunched website to incorporate the movement towards social media communication.

Today

Our current team

Today


The practice is incorporated, becoming Simpson Wood Limited and the directors continue to develop the services being provided to cover Auto Enrolment along with an expansion in Financial Services via our subsidiary company.

1880
1909
1913
1939
1954
1970
1980
2003
2011
Today
Testimonials

TESTIMONIALS

Find out what our clients think about us and the services we provide.

READ MORE  READ MORE
Meet The Team

MEET THE TEAM

All our team are happy to help with your queries, please click here to find out more about us.

READ MORE  READ MORE